The Building Inspection Services Division is responsible for ensuring that all buildings constructed, altered, or maintained in the City meet recognized standards for quality and safety. The staff is a diverse group of construction experts each trained and certified in one or more building trades. Activity of the Division is service-intense, and much of the focus recently has been on streamlining the permitting process, improving call-response procedures, and increasing the level of communications with customers. The Division staff is highly involved in the formulation and interpretative development of the national codes that govern the construction industry. Personnel also respond to customer complaints regarding dilapidated structures and work with property owners to maintain neighborhood property values.
As the need for customer communication continues to increase, the Division looks to technology, particularly the Internet, as the means for disseminating information and creating an interactive forum for permit approval.
Documents, diagrams, specifications, permits needed, licensing requirements, construction guidelines, procedures, installation manuals, and checklists.
- New Single Family Building Permit B1
- Residential Remodeling and Additions B2
- Roofing Information B3
- Homeowners Helpful Checklist B4
- Concrete Foundations B5
- Pier and Beam Foundations B6
- Span Tables B7
- Residential Stairway B8
- Brick Veneer Footing B9
- Contractor Licensing Information
- Contractor Registration B11
- New Commercial Building B12a
- Commercial Interior Renovation B12b
- Guidelines for Temporary Buildings B13
- Mobile Home Inspection Check List B14
- Gas Test B15
- Proper Water Heater Installation B16
- Backflow Installation and Inspections B17a
- Landscape Irrigation Installation B17b
- Cross-Connection & Backflow Prevention Assembly B18
- Swimming Pool B19
- Guidelines for Graywater Systems B20
- Building, Roofing, Awning & Demolition: No license required.
- Mechanical Contractors: License is obtained from the state.
- Plumbing Contractors: License is obtained from the state.
- Electrical Contractors: Electrical license and electrical contractor license obtained from the state.
- Swimming Pool: License is obtained from the City of Abilene, Building Inspections Office.
- Sign Contractors: No license is required for non-electrical signs. For electrical signs-sign electrician license and sign contractor license obtained from the state.
- NOTE: New Electrical License are no longer issued by the City of Abilene. (Effective October 16th, 2012)
Building Data - past and present building inspection data
Data on all permits issued by Building Inspection and the status of those permits can be retrieved using this form by owner name, permit number, contractor, and address. The following reports can also be viewed:
- Building Permit Ledger
- Permit fee/count summary
- Permits by contractor
- Construction Valuation Summary
- Contractor List
- Overdue permits by contractor
The permit and inspection fees, herein provided, shall be paid to the City before the issuance of a permit and before any work is started. Note: Permit and inspection fees are subject to change. These are also published in the related amendment booklets which are available for purchase from the Building Inspections Division.
Local Amendments to the codes are available in booklet form on-line as printable versions (Pamphlets) and for purchase from Building Inspections. Please call us at (325) 676-6273.
- Abilene Fire Code 2009
- For questions regarding the Fire Code, please call the Abilene Fire Department at 676-6414
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- Swimming Pool & Spas Code
- International Existing Building Code 2012
- International Building Code 2012
- International Fuel Gas Code 2012
- International Mechanical Code 2012
- International Plumbing Code 2012
- International Residential Building Code 2012
- International Energy Conservation Code 2012
- Abilene Fire Code 2009
The effective date of adoption is March 1, 2016
- Permit issued prior to March 1, 2016 will be inspected under the 2011 NEC.
- Plans submitted for review prior to March 1, 2016 will be reviewed and inspected under the 2011 NEC throughout the project even if the permits for the project are obtained after March 1st.
- Plan submittals and permit requests on or after March 1, 2016 will be reviewed and inspected under the 2014 NEC.
If you have any questions, please contact our Electrical Inspectors at 325-676-6352 or 325-676-6276.
ICC - The International Code Council provides free access to all building codes. Click here to the ICC free online library.
In addition to the ICC codes, click here to access the City of Abilene's Code of Ordinances / Chapter 8 / Construction Regulations.
2012 International Code Adoption
Any permit issued prior to August 26, 2014 will be inspected under the 2009 I codes for Building, Existing Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas and the 2000 Energy. Any plans submitted before August 26, 2014 will be reviewed and inspected under the codes listed above throughout the project even if the permits are obtained after August 26th.
Plans submittals and permit requests on or after August 26, 2014 will be reviewed and inspected under the 2012 codes.
Insulation Inspection Revision
Inspecting for Caulking, Foaming, and Sealing of top plates, bottom plates and windows will now be performed at the time the wall insulation is inspected. Previously we required this during the framing inspection. (Effective date 7/26/13.)
Customer Service Rep II
Customer Service Rep II
M/P South in Loop
M/P South outside Loop