Forms | Employment | Calendar | Media Relations | Contact Us | Help Search
Planning and Development Services Department

Community Enhancement

Animal Services

Code Compliance

Environmental Health

Inspection Scores

Contact Information

Code Compliance

Most Common Code Violations

Help cleanup our city and keep your property values up.

Substandard Structure – Any building or other structure which is in such a dilapidated condition that is unfit for human habitation.

Parking Vehicles in the Yard – The ordinance prohibits vehicles in the yard excluding improved parking surfaces, or areas screened from the public view by an opaque fence.

High Weeds & Grass – Grasses weeds or brush at a height greater than twelve (12) inches, including the adjacent parkway and alleys. This includes:
  • The portion of any lot, tract or parcel of land greater than five (5) acres, which is within thirty (30) feet from the curb of any street, edge of pavement, or any traveled portion of a street or roadway.
  • The portion of the lot, tract or parcel of land greater than five (5) acres, which is within thirty (30) feet from any abutting lot, tract or parcel of land which is one (1) acre or less and occupied by a residence.
Please Note: Grass & weeds over 4ft will be sent directly to a mower and the owner will be billed.

Junk Vehicles – A junk vehicle is defined as follows:
  • Displays an expired license plate or an invalid motor vehicle inspection certificate or
  • Does not display a license plate or motor vehicle inspection certificate; and
  • Is wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled, or discarded; or
  • Has remained inoperable for more 72 consecutive hours on public property or 30 consecutive days on private property.

This includes, but is not limited to cars, trucks, trailers, recreational vehicles, travel trailers, motorcycles, boats, and other watercraft.

If you wish to report a violation, submit the relevant information here or call (325) 676-6241.

Fences – Fences in a deteriorated condition or subject to falling down due to lack of maintenance or damage or that are repaired with materials that are not comparable to the original.

Unsightly Conditions – Accumulation of rubbish, trash, refuse, junk. All appliances intended for indoor use, working or nonworking, used, stored, abandoned or junked anywhere in the public view. Excessive accumulation of items intended for use outdoors that are not screened from public view. Items on a porch, in a yard, under a carport, or within any area visible from the public view that are not intended for use outdoors, furniture intended for indoor use that is used, stored, abandoned or junked outside, including on a porch, in a yard, or under a carport.

The City of Abilene residents need and deserve to live in a safe and healthy environment. The City of Abilene Community Enhancement Division is responsible for enforcing city ordinances. The division is authorized to pursue criminal and civil remedies to abate nuisances for the purpose of maintaining a safe, sanitary and clean city.

Residents are urged to be sure their properties are clean.

For information call:
City of Abilene Code Compliance
555 Walnut
Tel: 325-676-6241
Fax: 325-734-3300
click on Abilene 411

Code Enforcement FAQ’s

How can I make a complaint?

You can come to City Hall in person or file a complaint by calling 676-6241. You can also make a complaint via the web. Simply point your browser to and click on Abilene411.

How long should it take for a Code Officer to investigate my complaint?

Officers will try to perform an initial investigation within 2-5 days. Health and safety issues take first priority. The number of calls received may also affect response times.

What if I want to stay anonymous?

You may choose to stay anonymous; however, the code enforcement officers will not be able to inform you of actions taken. Leaving contact information is vital to a thorough investigation. Code Officers do not discuss the name of a complainant with a violator when a complaint is investigated.

Get to know the laws…if the owner and/or occupant fail to comply in a timely manner with a request to correct a violation, a municipal court citation may be issued and/or the violation corrected at the owner’s expense. A lien may be filed to recover the city’s cost of abatement.

The 2009 Code Compliance Guide
Printable (.pdf)